Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Quick Stop, Big Drop

"Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal." - George Will
 
The problem with the clever quote above is with me.  I don't like baseball, and I don't like huge canyons dropping away from an edge a breath from my clumsy feet.  So I'll have to turn this blog post over to Scott for an unbiased assessment of today's quick stop at the Grand Canyon.
 
It was another long drive this morning, and it started with the fairly busy San Diego area freeways. Things got interesting as we took California 62 and US 95 through the deserts of Southeast California.  Jenn and I made jokes about aliens and Knight Rider, but mostly we were interested in the new type of scenery.  We were amused by the fact that, unlike other times during this adventure, this area of the country was exactly as we expected.  The high point of the day, literally, would be seeing the temperature on the car dashboard hit 108 F.
We made it to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon right before five o'clock.  Unfortunately, the visitor's center closed at five, which made it fairly useless.  The canyon itself was a majestic site to behold.  We hung out around Mather's Point to take in the sight.  I was surprised to see as much green as I did in the canyon.  We couldn't see the Colorado River.  However, I think I was able to tell where it was.  We didn't stay long as an afternoon monsoon was threatening to ruin our view.
On the way back, we saw a small herd of female elk and a badger along the side of the highway leading back to I-40.  Once we hit Flagstaff, we found our way to a Five Guys for a dinner and a reminder of home and settled in to our hotel room. 
 

No comments: