Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Amazing Adventures - Minnesota to the Black Hills

"Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to thee - how great thou art!" - Carl Boberg

I had moments yesterday where I started to think this trip was crazy.  The hours and hours we spent on the road definitely took their toll.  But the amazing beauty of God's creation here in the Black Hills has completely lifted my spirits.  I think it's lucky I have so many ties to Pennsylvania, or I might never leave.

I need to recap quickly, because as soon as Nick gets out of the shower, we're off to the pancake tent.

As I said in my last post, we stopped at Sioux Falls for lunch.  Here's some better pictures:


Then we drove, and we drove, and we drove.  I honestly never appreciated just how crazy the pioneers were until now! Finally, we entered the Badlands and stopped at an overlook to stretch.

We were all so tired by that point we weren't even going to stop at Rushmore.  We were just going to check in at the campsite and come back later.  But then we saw it from the road, and we couldn't go by.  It was more awesome than I expected, but smaller than Kairi thought it would be.

Finally, we headed for our campsite and were pleasantly surprised to discover how lovely and amazing it was.  The mountains are stunning (and scary, Nick says), the trees are gorgeous, the air is crisp, our cabin is adorable, and the view from our porch swing (in the bottom left photo of the collage) is the backside of Mount Rushmore. The stars were absolutely beautiful but now the sun is up and adventure is calling!

No comments: