Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mount Rushmore, Continued


"Today was cool; it was like, um..." - Kairi, when asked what the title of this post should be. Nick was campaigning for "Everything is itchy."

Everyone is hanging around watching me write this blog post, so it's a bit disjointed.  We are hopefully headed to bed soon because we need an early start for Yellowstone.  Today gave us an opportunity to recover from the endless driving.  After our all-you-can eat pancake breakfast ($2.50 a person!) we headed back to Rushmore to check out the museum.  The lighting was better so I couldn't resist a few more shots of the sculpture, and then I spotted a mom and baby goat climbing the rock fall beneath the presidents.  At first, no one else could see them, but I have photographic evidence that I was not hallucinating goats. As Kai says, that would be a problem.  Meanwhile, Scott got to meet one of the drillers on the sculpture.  He said he worked on Roosevelt and Lincoln.

We headed to Rapid City to get some turkey for dinner and stopped at the National Presidential Wax Museum on the way.  Nick says it was creepy, but there was a lot of attention to detail in the statues and scenes.  It was free because we are guests of the KOA.

When we got back, Kai, Nick and Scott went for a swim, then Kai, Nick and I jumped on the bounce pillow, which was really fun and quite slippery.  I loved the shots I got of the kids - they look like they are floating.

We cooked dinner over the campfire and the kids bought a packet of fire coloring that turned the flames different colors, mostly green.  I think it was a Slytherin packet.

It was a nice, relaxing day. (For the most part, says Nick.  Do you see why I don't write by committee?)








No comments: