Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pokagon Money Making Racket

"And they can't afford better bathrooms..."  - Nick

Pokagon State Park in Indiana seems to have quite the money making racket going. We got here about 3:30, and set up camp. We had already paid for our campsite, but turns out you need to pay for entrance to the park, too. Fine, okay, some parks do that, but it wasn't mentioned on my reservation. I was probably a bit cranky after Ohio charged me $15 to pass through their state, so I chalked my mild annoyance up to a super tiring day. But then we found out we had to buy our firewood from them, and we were legally obligated to buy a firestarter because dead and fallen branches were not permitted to be used as kindling. Nice.

On the plus side, we enjoyed the little nature center. Scott and I liked a window that allowed us to watch woodland animals and birds without startling them. Kai and Nick had fun watching the turtles and snakes. We all liked the view of the lake from the beach, but we arrived too late for watersport. The hike back up from the beach was pretty steep so we all decided it was dinner time. Starting a fire with logs and one commercial firestarter was an adventure, but the kids are roasting hot dogs now, so I better get in line before they're all gone!

No comments: